Perodua got off to a good start in 2019 with over 20,100 vehicles sold in the first month of the year. That’s 13.6% more than what the company sold in January 2018. With a target of 231,000 units this year – which works out to 19,250 units a month – that means the first month’s sales are already in ‘surplus’. Of course, in the course of the next 11 months, there will be ups and down but the Malaysian carmaker has usually met its target unless something unforeseen happens.

“Pending official figures from the Malaysian Automotive Association, we estimate our market share for January 2019 to be around 41.7% and 9.2% growth from 18,400 Perodua vehicles sold in December 2018,” said Perodua Sales Sdn Bhd MD, Dato’ Dr. Zahari Husin.

The new Aruz SUV

He also mentioned that the company was able to register 1,025 units of the new Aruz SUV on the last day of January. “Despite the delay in the registration of Aruz, we managed to maximise the delivery of Aruz up to the wee hours, in anticipation of the long CNY break,” he explained.

“The Aruz has been received well with 8,000 bookings so far and strong demand has resulted in a slightly longer waiting period, especially for the AV variant. We are doing our best to reduce this waiting period to a more acceptable level,” Dato’ Dr. Zahari said.

He revealed that at this time, the composition of orders shows that 85% of Aruz buyers want the Advanced Version and the remaining 15% chose the X variant. “On the speculation that the price of the Aruz will increase, I wish to clarify that we are maintaining the price for the Aruz which is RM72,900 for the X variant and RM77,900 for the Advanced Version,” he stressed.

The Myvi is the brand’s bestselling model, accounting for around 42% of total sales in January.

“Our other models have been doing equally well,” Dato’ Dr. Zahari added. “The Myvi is still leading in terms of sales, with over 8,400 units sold in January. Other models are also leading in their respective segments with the Axia, Bezza and Alza selling more than 5,500 units, 3,400 units and 1,600 units, respectively.

Click here for other news and articles about Perodua.

Visit www.perodua.com.my to locate a showroom to try or purchase the new Aruz as well as other Perodua models.

[Chips Yap]

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *